The Premier of South Australia, the Hon Steven Marshall MP has released the State’s first South Australian Aboriginal Housing Strategy 2021-2031.
It is the Government’s vision that Aboriginal peoples within South Australia have equitable access to safe, secure and affordable homes; and that this is achieved through shared decision making and culturally informed services, to maintain Aboriginal peoples personal and cultural wellbeing.
The Strategy hoped to achieve the following three key outcomes for Aboriginal peoples across South Australia:
- Aboriginal peoples have a greater voice about the way they want the housing sector to operate within their communities.
- Aboriginal peoples are equal beneficiaries of the economic opportunities the housing sector provides.
- Aboriginal peoples can equitably access safe, secure and affordable housing.
The South Australian Aboriginal Housing Strategy 2021-2031 aligns with, and supports, broader commitments and aspirations of community and the Government including shared decision making and genuine partnerships, more opportunities for Aboriginal economic development, and improving the quality and delivery of services to Aboriginal peoples within South Australia. More information about the commitments and aspirations of the Government, both State and Commonwealth can be found at: South Australian Government Aboriginal Affairs Action Plan 2021-2022 and National Agreement on Closing the Gap.
The Strategy outlines six strategic pillars, which will drive change in:
- housing sector reform
- sector-wide service reform
- economic opportunities and capacity building
- reforming the crisis and homelessness sector
- increasing the supply of safe housing
- creating more pathways to home ownership.
Under these six pillars are 17 key actions that will deliver significant change and tangible outcomes for Aboriginal peoples.
To read the South Australian Aboriginal Housing Strategy 2021-2031 visit www.housing.sa.gov.au/ahs. If you need further information about the strategy, please contact Glen Michels, Manager, Aboriginal Housing Strategy and Governance, at email@example.com or 0459 853 348.