Applications closing soon (14 April 2023) for Austrade’s Export Market Development Grants (EMDG).
The updated EMDG Grant Guidelines and supporting documents are now available so that applicants can prepare to apply ahead of the EMDG online portal opening to applications. The Guidelines are available at Guidelines and legislation and supporting documents at How to apply.
Changes from the second round
There are some changes in Round 3:
- Grant Agreements will be for one year, with a possibility of extension subject to the availability of funds. This is to ensure we can better manage the available funding in future.
- We have updated the definition of strategic shift for Tier 3 grantees, based on feedback that the definition needed to be clearer and to focus on market diversification.
- Austrade requires that businesses meet their taxation obligations, that is, comply with all the relevant Australian Taxation Office (ATO) legislation, rulings and guidelines. During the assessment process we may ask businesses to obtain and provide a Statement of Tax Record from the Australian Taxation Office. This will help us to check compliance prior to issuing grant agreements and ensure grant funds go to export promotion, not to pay tax debts.
You can download the Guidelines at EMDG Grants Guidelines and legislation.
Please note that exporters cannot apply in Round 3 of the program if they have an executed grant agreement and there is more than one year remaining in the term of their grant agreement. For more information visit Eligibility or contact Austrade at EMDG.Help@austrade.gov.au.
The Minister for Trade and Tourism Senator the Hon Don Farrell has released the Export Market Development Grants (EMDG) Operational Review report.
You can read the report here: EMDG Operational Review.
The review found that the reformed EMDG program was achieving its goal of providing simplified and streamlined assistance for promotional activities and the development of marketing skills to eligible small and medium enterprises.
The Operational Review found there were opportunities for immediate improvement to EMDG program design, client experience and communication to ensure:
- Processes are client-friendly and information is accessible
- Communication to stakeholders is timely, targeted and accurate
- Round 3 operates with the benefits of these changes where possible.
Expanded Go Global Toolkit to assist exporters
Austrade has expanded the information available in our Go Global toolkit. With a wide range of useful information you can explore markets, view market access information, consider competitor analysis, find buyers and sales partners and more. Find out how our Go global toolkit can take your business further, faster.
New Australian State of Exporters Report
If you’re an exporter you’ll already know exporting can be a profitable way to expand your business, spread your risks and reduce your dependence on the local market. Austrade has analysed over 24,000 exporters in 2020-21 and found that Australian exporters were more resilient to the shocks of the pandemic compared to non-exporters. To see the findings, download the Australian State of Exporters Report now.