Whyalla City Council
Do you love Whyalla and have extensive knowledge of Whyalla and the surrounding region? Do you have a passion for delivering customer excellence?
Are you ready for a one of the kind career opportunity to work for a diverse and progressive Council who is committed to growing and developing our employees?
The City of Whyalla has an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic individual to deliver a high standard of customer service and provide visitors with a professional, unique and engaging personalised experience at our tourist centre.
About the role:
Whyalla Council’s Visitor Information Centre is the information base for all things tourism for Whyalla and surrounding districts.
The Visitor Services and Tour Guide position is a high-profile, front line role providing exceptional customer service and information to visitors and actively promoting tourism opportunities in the Whyalla region.
The position encompasses a broad range of duties including dissemination of tourism information, booking services, sales, collection of tourism statistics, and delivery of informative tours of the HMAS Whyalla and maritime museum.
This is a casual role working across 7 days (including weekends and public holidays) as rostered.
We are seeking an energetic and enthusiastic individual who has:
- A positive ‘can do’ attitude that frequently exceeds customer’s expectations
- Proven excellence in oral and written communication skills
- Extensive knowledge of Whyalla and the surrounding region
- Demonstrated customer service focus and sales experience (within a tourism related industry or Visitor Information Centre preferred)
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft office
- Minimum Certificate III in Tourism and/or equivalent experience in similar environment (or ability to attain within an agreed timeframe)
- Class C driver’s licence
- Be physically able to conduct ship tours and undertake manual activities within the Visitor Centre precinct
- Ability to identify and implement continuous improvement and adapt to change
If you have demonstrated experience working in a customer focused vocation and have a substantial knowledge of Whyalla and surrounds, we would love to hear from you!
About the Whyalla City Council:
As a multifunctional regional Council we manage Childcare services, Library, Airport, Cemetery, Crematorium, Infrastructure and recreational facilities including a Visitor Information Centre.
We are a progressive Council, committed to the pursuit of excellence and always looking for opportunities to improve the quality of life for our community, now and into the future.
We stand by and embrace our core values when delivering each and every one of our services: We Care, We Work Together, We are Committed and We Own It.
About the benefits:
- Hourly rate from $33.91 + 25% casual loading + 10.5% Superannuation with the ability to salary sacrifice
- Weekend penalty + public holiday penalty rates when applicable
- Excellent Enterprise Agreement benefits with above award rates
- Opportunities for career growth and professional development
- Provision of uniform and full PPE
- Employee Assistance Program and wellbeing support
- Special Pandemic Leave, and Family and Domestic Violence support
- Commuting to work when living in Whyalla is no more than 15 minutes
About Whyalla, South Australia:
The City of Whyalla is one of the largest regional cities in South Australia – it’s a culturally-diverse community and home to just over 21,000 people. Whyalla offers first-class facilities with a relaxed lifestyle, all set amongst gorgeous natural scenery – an ideal blend between the outback and the sea. Whyalla is a welcoming community with a well-established industry and retail base. Its residents enjoy a comfortable lifestyle with plenty of amenities, events and activities – everything is less than 10 minutes away. It also features the new state-of-the-art Whyalla Secondary College, along with the University of South Australia and TAFE campuses offering tertiary progression.
So be sure to Unearth your next step right here in Whyalla – we’re waiting for you!
Further Information and to Apply:
For more information in relation to position responsibilities and to apply for this role visit Council’s website www.whyalla.sa.gov.au/council/careers.
Enquiries can be directed to Joanne Peden, Customer Experience Coordinator on (08) 8640 3489.
This is a casual role working across 7 days (including weekends and public holidays). The salary applicable for this role is in accordance with the South Australian Municipal Salaried Officers Award and Council’s current Enterprise Agreement, paid at Level 2. This currently equates to equates to $42.39 per hour (inclusive of casual loading).
Applications close 9.00am Monday 10 October 2022. Late applications can not be accepted.
The Whyalla City Council is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment free from discrimination and harassment. We encourage applications from all suitably qualified candidates, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, youth and people living with disability to apply. All applicants will receive equal consideration for employment.
The Whyalla City Council is committed to providing a smoke, drug, and alcohol-free safe work environment. Our recruitment process includes a medical assessment, and confirmation of experience/qualifications and may also include competency testing.
The Whyalla City Council is committing to minimising the spread of COVID-19 in our community and all new appointments will be required to have at least 2 TGA approved COVID-19 vaccinations prior to commencement. Please note shortlisted candidates will be required to show evidence of COVID-19 vaccinations or certified medical exemption prior to attending an interview.
To apply for this job please visit www.seek.com.au.