Whyalla City Council
Multiple positions available
- Do you enjoy working outdoors and manual work? Do you have a love for nature, gardening and plants?
- Do you want to get paid to work and study?
- Are you looking to kickstart your career with Local Government whilst completing a formal qualification?
- Are you ready for a unique career opportunity working for a diverse and progressive Council who is committed to growing and developing our employees?
Here is your chance to start a hands-on career with a horticulture traineeship and become a member of our Infrastructure Operations department to contribute to the care and maintenance of Whyalla’s public amenities.
This three-year fulltime traineeship opportunity will see the successful candidate working across our Open Space operational teams, gaining valuable skills and experience across all facets of caring for and maintaining our City’s open space areas, whilst studying towards a nationally recognised Certificate III in Horticulture. This is a fantastic opportunity to kickstart a long-term career with Local Government. Multiple positions are available.
About the role:
As a Horticulture Trainee you will gain practical skills and hands-on experience to assist to maintain our open space areas including plant and tree care, parks, streetscapes, and irrigation.
- Chipping, trimming and removal of trees
- Mulch, prune, pot and water plants and trees
- Garden and grounds maintenance
- Brush cutting and mowing
- Pest and weed control
- Install irrigation and watering systems
- Operation of relevant plant and machinery including chainsaws
- Working in a safe and effective manner
- Some repetitive and manual tasks
- Gain hands-on practical experience in all areas of open space maintenance
- Complete a Certificate III in Horticulture whilst working
- Learn transferable skills that will assist in your career
- No Training costs to you
- Rostered Day Off (RDOs) once a fortnight
- Enjoy job security with a three-year contract with fulltime leave entitlements
- All personal protective equipment (PPE) and work uniforms supplied
We are looking for a person who:
- Has a willingness to develop skills and knowledge in this trade
- Enjoys working outdoors and working with garden tools
- Is committed, reliable and hardworking
- Can manage and prioritise time and tasks effectively
- Works effectively in a team and has good communication skills
- Posses a good level of literacy and numeracy and computing skills
- Has a can-do attitude, and takes pride in their work
- Is able to follow instructions and work in safe manner
- Holds a current driver’s licence (provisional or full driver’s licence)
- Is physically fit and able to satisfactorily pass a pre-employment assessment, including a drug and alcohol screening
- Has the ability to operate a wide range of small to medium plant and machinery
- Minimum successful completion of year 11
If this sounds like your perfect role, we want to hear from you!
Multiple positions are available. National Traineeship wages and conditions apply.
Enquiries can be directed to Tom Spirat, Manager Depot and Roads on 0407 637 757.
How to Apply:
Visit the Whyalla City Council’s careers page, complete the online application form and attach a copy of your resume and cover letter outlining your suitability for the available role.
Applications close 9.00am Monday 17 October 2022. Late applications can not be accepted.
The Whyalla City Council is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment free from discrimination and harassment. We encourage applications from all suitably qualified candidates, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People, youth and people living with disability to apply. All applicants will receive equal consideration for employment.
The Whyalla City Council is committed to providing a smoke, drug, and alcohol-free safe work environment. Our recruitment process includes a medical assessment, and confirmation of experience/qualifications and may also include competency testing.
The Whyalla City Council is committing to minimising the spread of COVID-19 in our community and all new appointments will be required to have at least 2 TGA approved COVID-19 vaccinations prior to commencement. Please note shortlisted candidates will be required to show evidence of COVID-19 vaccinations or certified medical exemption prior to attending an interview.
To apply for this job please visit www.seek.com.au.