Whyalla City Council
Do you enjoy working outdoors and manual work?
Are you ready for a one of the kind career opportunity to work for a diverse Council who is committed to growing and developing our employees?
Here’s your chance to become a member of the Infrastructure Operations department to contribute to the maintenance and enhancement of Whyalla’s public amenities.
About the role:
A Municipal Employee contributes to the provision of an attractive environment, roadways, paths and public amenities for residents and visitors to Whyalla to enjoy.
Ideally, we are seeking candidates who have experience working in a civil construction environment.
As a Civil Municipal Employee, you will undertake a broad range of hands-on duties to assist and provide safe roadways and walkways for the City, from concreting and formwork to footpath, road, curb and gutter maintenance and repairs.
Duties may include:
- Operating and maintaining plant and equipment safely in accordance with relevant operating procedures and pre-start requirements
- Carrying out relevant activities for constructing and maintaining roadways from base to final surface according to specifications
- Maintaining and repairing sealed and unsealed roadways to provide safe road conditions, including the effective operation of storm water systems, signage and other road facilities, maintaining full functionality
- Maintaining and repairing concrete and bitumised paths to an acceptable standard
- Assisting with general labouring duties where required
- Setting up work zone traffic management
- Operating between different crews depending on requirements
- Some repetitive and out of the ordinary tasks from time to time
We are looking for a person who has:
- A strong commitment to safety
- A willingness to learn quickly
- Pride in their work
- A humble, can-do attitude
- The ability to undertake manual / physical work and enjoy working outdoors
- A strong work ethic and a respectful communication style
- Good level of literacy and numeracy
- A current driver’s licence, with a light truck (preferably MR Licence)
- Previous experience working in a civil environment and/or trade certificates aligned to Civil Construction
- Experience operating a wide range of small to medium plant and machinery
- The ability to pass a medical including a drug and alcohol screening
About the Whyalla City Council:
As a multifunctional regional Council we manage Childcare services, Library, Airport, Cemetery, Crematorium, Infrastructure and recreational facilities including a Visitor Information Centre.
We are a progressive Council, committed to the pursuit of excellence and are always looking for opportunities to improve the quality of life for our community, now and into the future.
We stand by and embrace our core values in delivering our each and every one of our services: We Care, We Work Together, We are Committed and We Own It.
About the benefits:
- Competitive salary + 10% Superannuation with the ability to salary sacrifice
- ExcellentEnterprise Agreement benefits with above award rates
- This is a 38-hour a week role, working over a 9-day fortnight
- Opportunities for career growth and professional development
- Provision of uniform and full PPE
- Employee Assistance Program and wellbeing support
- Special Pandemic Leave, and Family and Domestic Violence support
- Commuting to work when living in Whyalla is no more than 15 minutes
Further Information and to Apply:
The salary applicable for the Municipal Employee is in accordance with the Local Government Employees Award and Council’s current Enterprise Agreement at a Grade 4 or Grade 5 commencing at $62,712 – dependent upon qualifications and experience.
For more information and to apply visit the Whyalla City Council’s website at www.whyalla.sa.gov.au
Enquiries can be directed to Tom Spirat, Manager Depot and Roads on 0407 637 757.
Applications close 9.00am Monday 15 August 2022. Late applications will not be accepted.
The Whyalla City Council is committed to creating a diverse environment and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer, with a smoke, drug and alcohol-free work environment. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment. We encourage people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background and people with disability to apply.
To apply for this job please visit www.seek.com.au.