About the role
As our new Energy Controller, you will be accountable for optimising the use of steam, power, fuel gases, Oxygen, Nitrogen, Argon and saltwater for the boiler house and powerhouse in Whyalla. Reporting to the Power & Services Operations Leader, you will be responsible for the distribution of power and gas to the entire Whyalla Steelworks business.
Your main duties will include:
- Liaising with internal customers regarding breakdowns and shutdowns, and informing them in a timely manner when supply or quality do not meet the SLAs
- Ensuring production and distribution of power at the required levels, and balancing power generation and import rates in line with the business plan, considering the power prices and Natural Gas (NG) requirement
- Participating in analysing the incidents for finding the root cause.
About your experience
The ideal candidate will have experience working in power plant, using by product gasses with supplementary firing for the boilers using natural gas or diesel fuel. Understanding of heavy industry organisation with demonstrated knowledge of energy optimisation for power generation and importation of power. To be successful in this role, you will require strong attention to details along with an ability to make informed decisions with conflicting interests, as you will be dealing with both our customers and suppliers.
You will also ideally bring to this role:
- Proficient skills of plant DCS / PLC system operation
- A sound understanding of the manufacturing processes
- Working knowledge of the process associated with a steam and power generating plant
- The ability to balance gas distribution throughout the plant
- An advanced Boiler or Turbine Operator certificate would be advantageous
- An ability to problem solve and address issues quickly
- Conflict management and negotiation skills.
About our team
GFG Alliance Australia operates an end-to-end mining, steel, construction, and energy business. With over 160 sites and more than 6700 people, we provide steel for Australia’s leading infrastructure projects.
A member of the GFG Alliance group, Liberty Primary Steel is located at Whyalla, South Australia, approximately 400 kilometres north-west of Adelaide. We operate an integrated steelworks including steel making, blast furnace, coke oven and rolling mill facilities. Producing billet for rolling in Liberty Steel and other manufacturing sites and for export, together with rail and structural steel products. We look for exceptional talent from a broad range of backgrounds, to bring high energy and drive innovation. We foster a culture where people and the business can flourish and develop.
Why consider Whyalla? Located on Eyre Peninsula’s Spencer Gulf in South Australia, Whyalla is an important hub and the region’s biggest city for retail shopping. Whyalla boasts a warm climate, accessible ocean shores and saltwater fishing. Whyalla is well served with educational facilities where students can gain a quality education from primary school to university without leaving the City.
To view more of what Whyalla has to offer visit www.whyalla.com
We are committed to uncompromising levels of safety, strong customer centricity and diversity. Wherever they are in the world, our people are our greatest asset. We would love you to be part of our journey.
We are a 2022 Circle Back Initiative Employer – we commit to respond to every applicant.
To apply for this job please visit www.seek.com.au.