Career Co. Australia Pty Ltd
YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE
As a Correctional Officer you’ll be a role model and mentor to prisoners, helping to develop appropriate behaviour and support prisoner rehabilitations effort. Correctional Officers undertake a front line role in the prison system. They are responsible for a wide range of duties relating to the safety, security and welfare of prisoners in our care. They manage day-to-day issues, and contribute to ongoing rehabilitation.
Roles available at both the Port Augusta Prison and Port Lincoln Prison.
The Trainee Correctional Officer will undertake and complete the Correctional Officer Training Course (8 weeks of TAFE SA Training) and CSC30120 Certificate III in Correctional Practice (Adult Custodial) to be able to fulfill the role of a qualified Correctional Officer.
Trainee Correctional Officers will receive assistance, direction and guidance in managing the security, safety and control of a designated group of prisoners and/or custodial functions in accordance with departmental policies and procedures.
After training and achievement of required competencies, Correctional Officers will be expected to perform a range of duties directly involving prisoners. These include:
- Ensuring that each prisoner is treated professionally, humanely, with courtesy and respect;
- Observing prisoners conduct , behaviour and activities;
- Conducting strip searches of prisoners;
- Conducting prisoner cell searches;
- Transporting or escorting prisoners outside the prison;
- Assisting and encouraging prisoners with their individual development programs and case reviews;
- Assisting prisoners with matters affecting their welfare, security, behaviours and routines;
- Responding to emergency situations, including prisoner conflicts, prisoner injury and medical crisis.
- All Trainee Correctional Officers must have successfully completed all recruitment requirements prior to appointment to the role.
- Full time and part-time employees will be required to work 8 hour shifts over a 24 hour/7-day rotating roster.
- Shift types include day, afternoon and night shifts.
- Full time employees will work 19, 8 hour shifts over a 28-day, 24 hour/7-day rotating roster. The 28-day rotating roster includes 8 days off, and 1 Programmed Day Off (PDO) in a roster cycle.
- Part time employees will be required to work a minimum of 8 shifts over a 28-day, 24 hour/7-day rotating roster.
- The roster will include a Programmed Day Off (PDO) which will be allocated once a sufficient number of shifts have been accrued.
- A flexible approach to working hours is required.
- Applicants must be prepared to work in country and metropolitan prisons within Correctional Services South Australia based on vacancies and operational requirements.
- Section 47 of the Public Sector Act 2009 applies in conjunction with other provisions of the act and other applicable industrial entitlements.
- The incumbent is required to satisfactorily complete a National Criminal History Check.
- A current South Australian Driver’s Licence is essential.
- Some intrastate travel may be required which could necessitate overnight absences.
It is a requirement for any non-ongoing DCS employees to be fully vaccinated with a Therapeutic Goods Administration approved COVID-19 vaccination.
- Accredited training recognised Australia wide
- Public Sector employment conditions
- Up to 6 weeks annual leave
- Access to penalty and overtime payments
- Flexible working arrangements
- Career opportunities within DCS and the Public Sector
- Training salary: $52,665 p.a. (CO1) plus superannuation.
- Qualified salary: $56,987 – $64,931 p.a (CO2) plus penalities and superannuation.
To apply, an application pack must be completed.
Option 1: Please download and complete the application pack, available here https://www.careerco.com.au/job-vacancies/trainee-correctional-officer and return email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Option 2: Please submit your Resume to us stating you require help to complete your application, and we will be in contact with you!
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION OR APPLICATION SUPPORT
Career Co Australia Pty Ltd
93 Commercial Road
Port Augusta SA 5700
P: (08) 8686 8596
To apply for this job please visit www.seek.com.au.